The eVolve Electrical software may now be installed "silently" via a command line prompt so that installs/updates can be performed via scripts.
Notes and Limitations
- Because the software is distributed as an
.msifile, the scope of this is limited to only supporting silent installations via Windows
- Silent installs must be launched with escalated permissions(run the command prompt as an administrator)
- A license key must be supplied when running a silent install.
- The installation folder cannot be specified (the default location is used)
- All failures occur silently (with the exception of Windows failures outside of eVolve's control).
- eVolve cannot perform any error reporting outside of what
- Known possible failure conditions:
- The machine is not connected to the internet
- A license is not available at the time of install
- Invalid/expired license key
- Silent install not launched with escalated rights
Enhancements for Manual Installer
- If the respective the Revit version for the installer is not detected, a warning is displayed, but will continue if dismissed. Checks used (both must pass or warning is displayed):
- Directory exists:
- Registry path exists:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit (RevitVersion)\Components
- Directory exists:
- Multiple UAC prompts which currently occurs during manual installation will be reduced to a single prompt
- Additional feedback during the progress bar portion of the install which notes the current action being performed
The following command (console must be run with escalated rights) launches the installer in the background and runs the installation silently.
MsiExec /i eVolveElectricalForRevit-2020.msi /quiet LICENSEKEY=company-license-key
Note: A success or failure notice is not displayed after the installation is complete.
Important: that keyword
LICENSEKEY must be entered in all caps (everything else not case-sensitive).
Tip: By prefacing the installation command with
START /WAIT the installer is launched in the background - the console waits until the install is complete. To determine the success/failure of the installation, run the following command
%ERRORLEVEL% ; a
0 value is successful, any other value is a failure.
Typically, a failure will be due to either invalid permissions (not launched in an admin console) or a licensing error. Full diagnostics may be viewed using the logging capabilities of
MsiExec, however licensing results may be viewed in the file located here:
A sample batch file which strings together the logic mentioned above is displayed below:
START /WAIT MsiExec /i eVolveElectricalForRevit-2020.msi /quiet LICENSEKEY=company-license-key
REM Any value other than 0 indicates an error.
IF NOT "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" (
ECHO Error occurred during installation.
ECHO License Status -