Intro to System Families
System families are Revit host elements that are "built-in place" during modeling, such as; Conduit, Cable Tray, Flex Pipe, Walls, Floors, etc.
- EVOLVE provides a System Family feature within the Utility panel that on-demand loads system families into the Revit project file along with corresponding routing preferences, families, etc. \
Note: This function of "on-demand loading" acts similarly to the Revit transfer project standards feature.
- The default EVOLVE system families are configured to industry standard types & sizes, prior to modifying the types and configuration it is good to review how EVOLVE has configured the default library.
System Families include:
- Family types are based on industry-standard materials such as; EMT, RMC, IMC, PVC. Routing preferences include EVOLVE elbows, couplings, etc.
- Part descriptions are created by concatenating Nominal Diameter and Description parameters.
- Conduit family types:
- Conduit with Fittings - routing preferences set to use EVOLVE "Factory Elbow" family, the intent is to use these types when needing to quantify conduit elbows and bends by factory angles
- Conduit without Fittings - routing preferences set to EVOLVE "Stub 90" family, the intent is to use these types when needing to quantify conduit elbows as bent conduit including bend information for stub 90 and angle bends.
Note: EVOLVE elbow families can be used on either conduit family type, the above configuration is the default and can be modified if needed.
- family types are separated by generic tray types such as; channel, basket, and ladder cable tray, in addition to, standard elbow radii.
- Part descriptions are created by concatenating Nominal Sizes and Description parameters.
- Busway - EVOLVE configures Revit Duct system families into a series of types based on common Busway ampacities to graphically represent a generic busway system. The intent of this system family is to provide a method of modeling the spacial requirements to properly coordinate a busway system.
Note: This family setup does not represent any manufacture sizes, all types/sizes are user-defined.
- MC Cable - EVOLVE configures Revit Conduit system families to represent electrical cabling. These family types are configured differently the EVOLVE system families settings. The main differences for conduit types that are listed in the MC Cable section are:
- Nominal diameters are not included in the EVOLVE-generated part descriptions. For example eVolve_Desciprtion = "MC Cable"
- Famly is set to a customer Conduit Type
- Component Families
- This section will review the EVOLVE family browser and additional family component information.